Chapter 5 — The Misfits Assemble

 Chapter 5 — The Misfits Assemble



The Leopard 2 sat at the edge of the training ground, engine ticking over.


Inside, Stg. Salty looked around at his crew.


This was no longer a collection of random lunatics.


This was a team.


A highly questionable team.


But a team nonetheless.


Salty picked up the radio.


“Right, everyone. Today's exercise is different.”


McFinleyyy looked over.


“How different?”


“We're combining everyone's abilities.”


There was silence.


Quags looked interested.


Quagmire stopped eating.


Finholio put down his polishing cloth.


Sarah and Susan exchanged a glance.


Ye Olde Large Lad flexed.


WhizzAir looked towards his drone.


Salty continued.


“Everyone has a job. Everyone sticks to it. Nobody improvises.”


Finholio raised his hand.


“Does that include me?”


“Yes.”


“That's unfortunate.”


---


The Reconnaissance Department


WhizzAir was first.


He launched his DJI drone.


It climbed into the sky and began surveying the training area.


WhizzAir stared at the screen.


“Eyes up.”


Salty looked at the drone feed.


“What have you got?”


“Clear route ahead.”


McFinleyyy nodded.


“Excellent.”


WhizzAir smiled.


Then the drone flew directly into a tree.


CRACK.


WhizzAir stared at the screen.


“Minor technical issue.”


Salty sighed.


“Of course.”


Finholio looked up.


“Did you see that tree coming?”


WhizzAir glared at him.


“No.”


“Neither did the drone.”


---


Sarah and Susan


Next came Sarah and Susan.


They stepped forward wearing their training gear, faces streaked with war paint.


Sarah looked towards the others.


“Organisation.”


Susan nodded.


“Discipline.”


Sarah pointed towards the equipment.


“Everyone knows where everything goes.”


Susan pointed towards Finholio.


“And you stay where you're supposed to be.”


Finholio nodded.


“Absolutely.”


Sarah narrowed her eyes.


“I'm watching you.”


Finholio smiled.


“That's what makes this fun.”


Sarah and Susan looked at each other.


Then both raised their fists.


“CHA CHING!”


McFinleyyy laughed.


Salty shook his head.


“Every time.”


---


McFinleyyy's Special Ability


Salty turned towards McFinleyyy.


“Your turn.”


McFinleyyy looked confused.


“What exactly am I supposed to do?”


Salty smiled.


“You're the fixer.”


McFinleyyy looked at the Leopard 2.


Then at the equipment.


Then back at Salty.


“So basically, when you lot break something, I fix it?”


“Correct.”


McFinleyyy nodded.


“That's basically my entire life.”


---


Govna's Contribution


Salty looked at Govna.


“And you.”


Govna stood proudly.


“My special ability?”


“Yes.”


Govna thought about it.


“I know where the best pubs are.”


Everyone stared at him.


Salty sighed.


“That isn't remotely useful.”


Govna looked offended.


“You'll appreciate it when the mission is over.”


Quags nodded.


“Actually, that's quite important.”


Quagmire agreed.


“Very important.”


Salty shook his head.


“Fine. Govna is in charge of post-mission refreshments.”


Govna smiled.


“Now we're talking.”


---


Senior Miguel


Senior Miguel stepped forward.


“I have a skill.”


Salty nodded.


“What is it?”


“I can tell when something is about to go wrong.”


Everyone laughed.


Senior Miguel looked serious.


“No, I'm serious.”


He pointed towards the Leopard.


“That tank is going to have a problem.”


McFinleyyy looked underneath it.


“Why?”


Miguel shrugged.


“Gut feeling.”


There was a loud metallic CLUNK.


Everyone froze.


McFinleyyy slowly looked up.


Miguel smiled.


“Told you.”


Salty sighed.


“McFinleyyy?”


“On it.”


---


Quags and Quagmire


Salty looked towards the two men.


“And you two?”


Quags stood up.


“I can carry heavy things.”


Quagmire nodded.


“I can carry food.”


Salty looked at both of them.


“Fine.”


Quags picked up a heavy equipment case as if it weighed nothing.


Quagmire picked up three sandwiches.


They walked away together.


Salty watched them go.


“I suppose that's teamwork.”


---


Finholio


Finally, Salty turned towards Finholio.


Finholio stood proudly.


“I'm ready.”


Salty nodded.


“Your special ability.”


Finholio waited.


Salty thought about it.


“You're unpredictable.”


Finholio smiled.


“Thank you.”


“That wasn't a compliment.”


“I'll take it anyway.”


Finholio saluted.


“I'll be unpredictably useful.”


Salty stared at him.


“That's exactly what I'm afraid of.”


---


The Final Team


The Misfits gathered together.


Sarah and Susan were the organisers.


WhizzAir was watching from above.


McFinleyyy was the fixer.


Govna was handling morale.


Senior Miguel had his sixth sense.


Quags was the heavy lifter.


Quagmire had the food.


Finholio was...


Well...


Finholio.


Ye Olde Large Lad stepped forward.


He looked at the others.


“Together, we're stronger.”


Everyone nodded.


He then picked up two enormous dumbbells.


“Now who's coming to the gym?”


Everyone immediately stepped backwards.


“No.”


Ye Olde Large Lad shrugged.


“Your loss.”


---


Salty climbed into the Leopard 2.


He looked around.


For once, nobody was arguing.


Nobody was eating.


Nobody was crashing drones.


Nobody was lifting weights.


It was almost professional.


Salty smiled.


“This might actually work.”


The engine roared.


BRRRRRRRROOOOOOM!


WhizzAir's drone climbed higher.


Sarah and Susan checked the team.


McFinleyyy secured the equipment.


Govna checked his emergency pub list.


Quags and Quagmire loaded the supplies.


Finholio stood proudly beside the tank.


Ye Olde Large Lad flexed.


Salty looked forward.


“Misfits?”


Everyone answered.


“READY!”


Salty grinned.


“Let's move.”


The Leopard 2 rolled forward.


The drone followed overhead.


And for the first time, every member of the Misfits was working together.


It was magnificent.


It was organised.


It was disciplined.


It was—


CRASH!


WhizzAir's drone hit another tree.


Everyone stopped.


WhizzAir looked at the controller.


“Wind.”


Sarah closed her eyes.


Susan shook her head.


Finholio smiled.


“Teamwork.”


Salty sighed.


“Keep moving.”


And the Misfits disappeared into the distance.


TO BE CONTINUED…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Walshyy birthday 2026

Chapter 5 — Private Lucy Reports for Duty

Gardaí and Army Bomb Disposal Called to Malahide Home