Chapter 2 – Everything Is Perfect
Chapter 2 – Everything Is Perfect
After two days of hard work, endless painting, fitting cupboards, fixing tiles, moving appliances and dealing with more unexpected problems than anyone could possibly imagine, The Govna's kitchen was finally finished.
Well…
Almost finished.
But to The Govna, it was perfect.
He stood proudly in the middle of his newly renovated kitchen, wearing his red tracksuit, his Govna cap and an enormous smile.
He looked around slowly.
He had worked incredibly hard.
There had been plenty of moments when things hadn't gone according to plan. There had been broken tiles, crooked cupboards, mysterious electrical problems, paint everywhere and several occasions when Salty had seriously considered calling a professional.
But The Govna hadn't given up.
Every time something went wrong, he had rolled up his sleeves and tried again.
He wanted the kitchen to be somewhere everyone could enjoy.
Somewhere warm.
Somewhere comfortable.
And, most importantly, somewhere he could proudly say:
“I did that.”
The Govna took another look around.
“Right,” he announced proudly.
Everyone stopped talking.
“The kitchen is officially finished.”
Salty looked around.
One cupboard was still slightly crooked.
There was a suspicious red mark on the ceiling.
The kettle was displaying DESCALE.
And one of the tiles appeared to have been installed by someone who had never actually seen a square before.
Salty nodded slowly.
“Looks brilliant, Govna.”
The Govna smiled.
“Thanks, Salty.”
Salty looked around again.
“I mean it.”
The Govna nodded.
“I know it's not perfect.”
Everyone looked at him in surprise.
The Govna smiled.
“But I wanted it to be.”
Sarah smiled.
“And you worked really hard on it.”
“I did.”
Susan nodded.
“You certainly did.”
The Govna looked around the kitchen again.
“Every little bit of it.”
He pointed towards the cupboards.
“I put those in.”
Then the worktop.
“I fitted that.”
Then the wall.
“I painted that.”
Salty pointed at the ceiling.
“And that?”
The Govna paused.
“That wasn't supposed to happen.”
Everyone laughed.
The Govna laughed too.
“Look, nobody said DIY was easy.”
The Grand Opening
The Govna had decided that a kitchen this important deserved an official opening ceremony.
There was even a little ribbon across the doorway.
Nobody knew where he'd got it.
Ye Olde Large Lad arrived carrying a pair of garden shears.
Salty looked at him.
“Why garden shears?”
“They were the biggest scissors I could find.”
“Fair enough.”
The Govna stood proudly beside the ribbon.
“Ladies and gentlemen, today marks the beginning of a new era.”
Whizzley whispered:
“It's a kitchen.”
The Govna ignored him.
“This kitchen represents hard work.”
Everyone nodded.
“Determination.”
Sarah smiled.
“Absolutely.”
“Perseverance.”
Susan nodded.
“And perhaps slightly questionable DIY decisions.”
The Govna laughed.
“Maybe.”
He looked around proudly.
“But I did it.”
Ye Olde Large Lad raised the shears.
“Ready?”
“Ready.”
SNIP.
The ribbon fell.
Everyone applauded.
The Govna bowed.
Unfortunately, the ribbon landed directly into the leftover paint tray.
SPLATTTTTT!
Red paint went everywhere.
The Govna looked down at his shoes.
Everyone went silent.
Then Sarah started laughing.
The Govna looked at the paint.
Then at everyone else.
“Well…”
Salty smiled.
“Still proud of it?”
The Govna nodded.
“Absolutely.”
And that was the thing about The Govna.
Nothing was ever quite perfect.
But he had put his heart into it.
Sarah and Susan Arrive
Sarah and Susan decided to have a proper look around.
They walked over to The Govna.
Sarah smiled.
“You've done a lovely job.”
The Govna immediately stood up a little straighter.
“Thank you.”
Susan nodded.
“You really have.”
The Govna looked slightly embarrassed.
“Well, I wanted it to be nice.”
“It is,” Sarah said.
“I wanted everyone to feel comfortable in here.”
Susan smiled.
“I think you've managed that.”
The Govna looked around the room.
For once, he didn't have a joke ready.
“Thanks.”
Sarah smiled.
“You should be proud of yourself.”
The Govna grinned.
“I am.”
Susan looked at him.
“And you certainly put a lot of effort into it.”
“I did.”
Sarah smiled.
“You even managed to get paint on yourself.”
The Govna looked down at his red tracksuit.
“That's part of the professional decorator's uniform.”
Susan laughed.
“I like it.”
The Govna grinned.
“Really?”
“Definitely.”
Salty immediately shook his head.
“Oh no.”
Whizzley stopped eating his biscuit.
“Here we go.”
The Govna adjusted his tracksuit.
“Well, I do believe the DIY look suits me.”
Sarah laughed.
“It certainly does.”
Susan nodded.
“Very rugged.”
The Govna smiled.
“I knew all that hard work would pay off.”
Salty covered his face.
“Please don't encourage him.”
The Cooking Demonstration
The Govna had one final surprise.
A cooking demonstration.
He wanted everyone to sit down together and enjoy something in the kitchen he had worked so hard to create.
“Tonight,” he announced, “I'm cooking.”
Everyone looked at one another.
Salty raised an eyebrow.
“Are you sure?”
“Absolutely.”
The Govna opened the fridge.
There was half a tomato.
Some cheese.
Two sausages.
And a mysterious container labelled:
DO NOT EAT.
Salty pointed at it.
“What's that?”
The Govna looked at it.
“I've no idea.”
“Why haven't you thrown it out?”
The Govna thought for a moment.
“Because I built this kitchen with determination.”
“That doesn't answer the question.”
“No.”
The Govna picked up the frying pan.
“Anyway, tonight we're having the Govna Special.”
“What is it?” asked Whizzley.
“You'll know when you taste it.”
“That isn't reassuring.”
The Govna laughed.
“Trust me.”
He turned on the hob.
Nothing happened.
He tried again.
Still nothing.
He gave it a gentle tap.
WHOOSH!
The hob came on.
Everyone jumped.
The Govna laughed.
“See?”
Salty smiled.
“You really have done everything yourself, haven't you?”
“I have.”
And despite all the chaos, everyone could see how pleased he was.
This wasn't just a kitchen to The Govna.
It was something he had built himself.
Something he had spent hours working on.
Something he genuinely wanted everyone to enjoy.
The Great Sausage Incident
The Govna carefully placed the sausages into the pan.
SIZZLE.
Everything seemed perfectly normal.
For approximately twelve seconds.
Then one sausage rolled out of the pan.
It landed on the worktop.
Rolled onto the floor.
Bounced off a cupboard.
And disappeared underneath the fridge.
Everyone stared.
The Govna stared.
Salty stared.
Whizzley eventually said:
“Are we going after it?”
The Govna sighed.
“I'll get it later.”
Salty smiled.
“You've just finished the kitchen and already lost part of dinner.”
The Govna laughed.
“It's an adventurous sausage.”
The Final Disaster
By the end of the afternoon, the kitchen had survived another few minor disasters, one electrical mystery, a runaway sausage and an incident involving a tea towel, a cupboard door and Ye Olde Large Lad.
But The Govna didn't care.
He stood in the middle of the kitchen and looked around.
He could see every little thing he had worked on.
The cupboards.
The worktop.
The paint.
The tiles.
The appliances.
It wasn't perfect.
Not technically.
But it was his.
And he was proud of it.
Sarah stood beside him.
“I think you've done a fantastic job.”
Susan nodded.
“So do I.”
The Govna smiled.
“Thanks, ladies.”
Salty looked around.
“You know what, Govna?”
“What?”
“You worked bloody hard on this.”
The Govna nodded.
“I did.”
“And despite everything…”
Salty looked around the kitchen.
“It actually looks great.”
The Govna smiled.
“That means a lot.”
Whizzley raised his biscuit.
“To The Govna!”
Everyone raised their glasses.
“To The Govna!”
The Govna looked around at all of them.
Then smiled.
“Right…”
Everyone waited.
“Get the beers in!”
Whizzley cheered.
Ye Olde Large Lad raised both arms.
Sarah and Susan burst out laughing.
Salty shook his head.
“You've worked for two days solid and that's your first request?”
The Govna grinned.
“It's been a long two days.”
Salty laughed.
“Fair enough.”
The Govna looked around his kitchen one final time.
The cupboards weren't completely straight.
The ceiling still had a tiny red mark.
The kettle was still demanding to be descaled.
And there was still a sausage underneath the fridge.
But The Govna smiled.
Because he'd worked hard.
He'd done it himself.
And he'd created somewhere everyone could sit together, have a laugh and enjoy themselves.
Maybe it wasn't perfect.
But it was The Govna's kitchen.
And to him…
That made it perfect.
The kettle suddenly beeped.
BEEP.
Everyone looked at it.
The display read:
GOOD LUCK.
Salty laughed.
“Even the kettle thinks you're mad.”
The Govna smiled.
“It's proud of me.”
He picked up his paint-covered roller like a trophy.
“Same time next week?”
Everyone shouted:
“NO!”
The Govna laughed.
“Worth a try.”
And as the Misfits gathered around the kitchen table, The Govna looked around one last time.
He smiled.
“Perfect.”
THE END.
Comments
Post a Comment