The Great Misfits Fuel Protest

 The Great Misfits Fuel Protest



There were two things Stg. Salty disliked intensely.


Being overcharged for something.


And being told there was nothing he could do about it.


Unfortunately, fuel prices had managed to combine both.


Salty stood in the middle of Misfit HQ, phone in hand, studying the latest figures while the rest of the gang went about their business.


Sarah was reading through some paperwork.


Susan was checking something on her laptop.


Lucy was making coffee.


Winkz was scrolling through the morning news.


Dinkz was sitting comfortably in an armchair, looking far too amused by Salty's expression.


Quags was having a discussion with Ye Olde Large Lad about whether driving economically actually made a noticeable difference over a month.


McFinleyyy was doing what McFinleyyy did best: eating a sandwich while contributing occasional observations to the conversation.


Whizzley was standing at the window.


"I've got a feeling," he said, "that Salty is about to announce something."


Dinkz smiled.


"Judging by his face, I'd say it's either a protest or a military operation."


Salty looked up.


"Why does everyone assume I'm going to start a protest?"


"Because," said Sarah without looking up, "you've got the expression."


"What expression?"


"The 'I've just seen something that has annoyed me and everyone else is about to hear about it' expression."


Salty considered this.


"Fair."


He put his phone down.


"Fuel."


Quags nodded.


"Expensive."


"Exactly."


McFinleyyy took another bite of his sandwich.


"Unfortunately, I still need it."


Salty looked around the room.


"That's the problem. We all need it."


Dinkz leaned forward.


"So what's the plan?"


Salty smiled.


"We stop using it unnecessarily."


There was a pause.


"Meaning?"


"We walk when we can."


Ye Olde Large Lad nodded thoughtfully.


"Reasonable."


Quags looked at Salty.


"You're suggesting we actually do this?"


"Yes."


"How far?"


Salty smiled.


"Far enough."


McFinleyyy immediately looked suspicious.


"I don't like that answer."


---


Within an hour, the Misfits had turned Salty's idea into an actual campaign.


Not because any of them believed they were going to personally solve the country's fuel problems.


They simply thought that if people were going to complain about something, they might as well do something constructive about it.


Sarah suggested making some simple signs.


Susan drafted a short message explaining the idea.


Lucy organised the group's social media post.


Winkz took photographs.


Dinkz came up with a much better slogan than anyone else.


"Less Fuel. More Walking. Keep the Difference."


Salty looked at it.


"That's actually good."


"I know."


"Don't sound so pleased with yourself."


"I am pleased with myself."


Ye Olde Large Lad arrived wearing his usual Hawaiian shirt.


Salty looked at him.


"You're wearing that?"


"It's comfortable."


"It's a protest."


"It's still comfortable."


"Fair enough."


McFinleyyy picked up one of the signs.


"Are we actually protesting?"


"Not exactly," said Susan.


"It's more of a demonstration."


"What's the difference?"


"One involves shouting."


Whizzley smiled.


"And the other involves Salty."


Salty gave him a look.


"Very funny."


---


They set off on foot.


And, surprisingly, it was enjoyable.


Nobody was struggling.


Nobody was complaining.


They walked together, chatting and laughing as they made their way into town.


Dinkz and Quags were debating whether hybrid cars represented a genuine long-term solution or simply shifted some of the environmental burden elsewhere.


Susan joined in.


Sarah had a different view.


Lucy listened before making a surprisingly detailed point about public transport.


Even McFinleyyy contributed.


"Whatever the long-term solution is," he said, "people still need to get to work."


Everyone looked at him.


"What?"


Salty smiled.


"That's actually a good point."


"I make several good points."


"Occasionally."


McFinleyyy nodded.


"I'll take occasionally."


Whizzley laughed.


"This is possibly the most intellectual walk we've ever had."


Dinkz glanced across.


"Give it time."


He was right.


---


When they reached the town centre, they set themselves up near the main street.


There was no shouting.


No aggressive behaviour.


Just signs, conversation and a bit of good-natured humour.


People stopped to talk.


Some agreed with them.


Some didn't.


A few simply wanted to know why a group of people including a man in a Hawaiian shirt were standing around discussing fuel prices.


Ye Olde Large Lad was happy to explain.


"It's about reducing unnecessary driving."


A passer-by looked at his shirt.


"And the Hawaiian shirt?"


"Entirely necessary."


The man laughed and walked on.


Salty shook his head.


"You're enjoying this."


"Immensely."


Dinkz had become the unofficial spokesman, mostly because he could explain the point without turning it into a rant.


"We're not pretending that walking fixes everything," he told one passer-by. "It's just about recognising that if a journey doesn't require a car, sometimes you can leave it parked."


The man nodded.


"That's fair."


"Exactly."


Meanwhile, McFinleyyy was having a completely separate conversation with a woman about whether walking to the shops was actually practical for people carrying heavy shopping.


Sarah joined them.


"That's where public transport and local services matter."


The woman nodded.


"Exactly."


Salty watched the conversation from a short distance away.


He smiled.


This was how it was supposed to work.


Different opinions.


Actual conversation.


No shouting.


No nonsense.


Then Quags appeared.


"Salty."


"What?"


"There's a café over there."


Salty looked at him.


"And?"


"It's walking distance."


Salty smiled.


"Well done."


"I thought you'd appreciate that."


---


They took a break.


The café was busy, but they managed to find a few tables together.


Lucy ordered coffee.


Susan had tea.


Sarah chose a toasted sandwich.


Dinkz ordered something sensible.


Quags studied the menu like he was negotiating an international trade agreement.


McFinleyyy didn't need to study it.


"I'll have that."


"That's enough for two people," said Lucy.


"I've been walking."


"That doesn't mean you need to eat for two."


"I disagree."


Everyone laughed.


Then the door opened.


A woman walked in wearing a smart black jacket and sunglasses.


She looked around the café before noticing the Misfits.


Her eyes settled on Salty.


She smiled.


"You're the group from outside."


Salty smiled back.


"We are."


"I've seen your signs."


"Hopefully the sensible ones."


She laughed.


"Most of them."


Salty raised an eyebrow.


"Most?"


She glanced through the window at Ye Olde Large Lad's Hawaiian shirt.


"I'm still trying to understand that one."


Salty laughed.


"Nobody understands that one."


She introduced herself as Emma.


The conversation came naturally.


She wasn't interested in joining a protest for the sake of it. She was interested in the reasoning behind what they were doing.


Salty explained it.


Not dramatically.


Not as some grand political statement.


Just practically.


"If something is expensive, you look at what you can control," he said. "We can't decide what happens to fuel prices. We can decide whether every short journey needs the car."


Emma nodded.


"That's actually quite sensible."


"I have my moments."


She smiled.


"I can see that."


From across the table, Dinkz noticed the exchange.


He leaned towards Sarah.


"Salty's doing quite well."


Sarah smiled.


"He's trying very hard not to look like he's doing well."


"That's what makes it obvious."


---


After coffee, the group continued their walk.


Emma joined them.


She and Salty found themselves walking together at the back.


"So," she said, "are you always the organiser?"


"Apparently."


"And are they always this entertaining?"


"Pretty much."


She glanced towards the group.


Quags and Dinkz were having a spirited debate.


Susan and Lucy were laughing.


Sarah was talking to Winkz.


Whizzley was explaining something to McFinleyyy.


Ye Olde Large Lad was walking along in his Hawaiian shirt as if he were strolling through a resort.


Emma smiled.


"They seem like a good bunch."


"They are."


"And you're the leader?"


Salty smiled.


"Leader is a strong word."


"What would you call yourself?"


"Someone who occasionally has an idea and then discovers everyone else has opinions."


Emma laughed.


"I like that."


There was a spark between them.


Nothing dramatic.


Just a little chemistry.


A glance that lasted slightly longer than necessary.


A smile.


The kind of thing everyone else notices before the two people involved admit it.


Unfortunately, the Misfits were exceptionally observant.


Dinkz looked back.


Then looked at Sarah.


Sarah had already noticed.


She smiled.


"Don't."


"I didn't say anything."


"You were about to."


"I was going to say they're getting on well."


"That's exactly what you were going to say."


Dinkz grinned.


"I've said nothing."


---


The afternoon took a more interesting turn when Whizzley spotted a petrol station further along the road.


He pointed towards it.


"Should we make a symbolic gesture?"


Salty looked suspicious.


"What sort of gesture?"


"We walk past it."


Dinkz laughed.


"Very revolutionary."


"It's all we've got."


They walked past.


McFinleyyy looked at the prices.


"That's painful."


Everyone agreed.


Even Emma shook her head.


"This is why people are frustrated."


Salty nodded.


"Exactly."


For a moment, nobody joked.


They simply stood looking at the board.


Then Ye Olde Large Lad broke the silence.


"On the positive side, my Hawaiian shirt doesn't require petrol."


Quags laughed.


"Give it time."


---


By early evening, the group had decided to head home.


Salty checked the route.


"Twenty-five minutes."


McFinleyyy nodded.


"That's manageable."


Quags smiled.


"Look at you."


"What?"


"Earlier you were complaining about twenty minutes."


"I've grown."


Dinkz laughed.


"Character development."


McFinleyyy pointed at him.


"Don't push it."


They started walking.


Emma stayed beside Salty.


The conversation became quieter.


"Are you free later?" she asked.


Salty looked at her.


"I could be."


"Good."


She smiled.


"I'd like to see you again when you're not organising a fuel protest."


Salty smiled.


"I'd like that too."


She leaned closer.


"Maybe dinner?"


"Definitely."


"Good."


She gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.


Salty smiled.


From several metres ahead came a voice.


"WE SAW THAT!"


Salty closed his eyes.


"Dinkz!"


Dinkz turned around, laughing.


"I said nothing!"


Quags was grinning.


McFinleyyy looked delighted.


Sarah and Susan were trying not to laugh.


Lucy was absolutely failing.


Winkz simply shook her head.


Ye Olde Large Lad adjusted his Hawaiian shirt.


"Romance is alive and well."


Salty pointed at him.


"Not one word."


"I wasn't going to say anything."


"Good."


"I was merely going to congratulate you."


Salty sighed.


"Thank you."


"You're welcome."


---


They eventually reached Misfit HQ.


The protest had achieved exactly what they had hoped.


They had made a point.


They had spoken to people.


They had walked instead of driving.


And, most importantly, they had spent the day together without taking everything too seriously.


Salty stood outside with Emma.


"I'll message you."


"I'll hold you to that."


She smiled.


"Goodnight, Salty."


"Goodnight."


She walked away.


Salty watched her for a moment before returning inside.


The moment he opened the door, everyone looked at him.


"What?"


Dinkz smiled.


"Nothing."


Sarah smiled.


"Absolutely nothing."


Susan was trying not to laugh.


Lucy had already started making tea.


Winkz was looking far too pleased with herself.


Quags leaned back.


"So..."


Salty pointed at him.


"No."


"I haven't said anything."


"I know exactly what you're going to say."


McFinleyyy looked up from his sandwich.


"I've got one question."


Salty sighed.


"What?"


"Are we walking everywhere tomorrow as well?"


There was silence.


Salty looked around the room.


Dinkz was laughing.


Sarah was smiling.


Susan was shaking her head.


Lucy was pouring tea.


Winkz was checking her phone.


Whizzley was still discussing the day's events.


Ye Olde Large Lad was admiring his Hawaiian shirt.


Quags was already looking for something to eat.


Salty smiled.


"No."


McFinleyyy looked relieved.


"Good."


Salty picked up his phone.


"I've got a date."


The room erupted.


Quags nearly fell off the sofa.


Dinkz applauded.


Sarah laughed.


Susan shouted, "About time!"


Lucy smiled.


Even Ye Olde Large Lad looked genuinely pleased.


Salty shook his head.


"You're all impossible."


Dinkz grinned.


"Maybe."


He raised his cup.


"But at least we're economical."


Salty laughed.


"To the Misfits."


"To the Misfits."


And somewhere outside, another car drove past the petrol station.


The Misfits watched it disappear into the distance.


McFinleyyy looked at Salty.


"Actually..."


Salty turned.


"What now?"


"Could someone give me a lift to the chip shop?"


Everyone burst out laughing.


Salty shook his head.


"Walk."


McFinleyyy sighed.


"Fine."


Dinkz smiled.


"Character development."


And that was the end of the Great Misfits Fuel Protest.


No arrests.


No arguments.


No dramatic speeches.


Just a group of friends making a small point, having a laugh, and somehow managing to turn an ordinary Wednesday into another Misfits adventure.


And Salty?


He'd discovered something considerably more valuable than cheaper fuel.


A reason to look forward to tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another Walshyy birthday 2026

Chapter 5 — Private Lucy Reports for Duty

Gardaí and Army Bomb Disposal Called to Malahide Home